Want to be safe from COVID-19: here are tips to protect yourself and others
Since March 2020, following the safety protocols of COVID-19 has been part of our daily life. Because this virus is highly contagious and spreads through person-to-person contact, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the COVID-19 can spread through airborne transmission and mostly occur within the enclosed spaces with inadequate ventilation.
So amid the surge of the second wave of the COVID-19 in India, it has become very important to know how to be safe from COVID. Essentially, you can take so many measures to protect yourself from this disease and help break the chain. Most of these measures consist of maintaining social distance and being more cautious about hygiene. Here are some of the simple steps you can take to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect yourself and your family.
5 steps you need to take to protect yourself and prevent the spread of COVID-19:
1. Practice Social Distancing: The best way to protect yourself from COVID is to avoid being exposed to this virus, so social distancing is a must for this. As per the CDC, maintaining at least 6 feet (2 meters) of the distance between yourself and people outside your household. Moreover, avoid going to crowded places such as markets, bars, restaurants, gyms, fitness centres, etc. Because at these places, you are at higher risk of being exposed to this virus. And don't be at indoor spaces that do not offer fresh air from the outdoors as much as possible when you are at home; make sure there is enough air or ventilation by opening windows and doors.
2. Wash your hands and keep them clean: Washing hands often with soap and alcohol-based sanitisers kills the virus on your hand. We touch so many objects every hour and catch so many viruses and bacteria; so to rub them off, wash your hands frequently and keep practising hand hygiene. Additionally, at your place, clean high touch surfaces daily such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
Due to the higher importance of washing hands and social distancing to prevent the spread of covid-19, then be careful of these measures:
Without washing hands, don't eat food, fruits, and drink.
When you are in a public place, make sure that you touch minimal objects and sanitize your hand more frequently.
Don't touch your eyes, nose, and mouth unnecessarily and with unwashed hands.
Further, it is vital to wash hand or sanitize, before or after these daily activities:
Before and after eating food
Before preparing food
Before touching your face
After using the restroom
After removing your mask
After touching animals or pets
3. Wear a mask or face mask: Wearing a mask has become the most basic requirement for protection against COVID- 19. Masks essentially act as barriers and filters to capture the droplets and particles we expel. When it is not possible to maintain social distancing, you can wear a mask to protect yourself. By wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose, you will reduce the risk of serving as the source of disease spread by trapping your droplets in the mask and reducing the risk of getting sick via droplets containing the coronavirus by blocking access to your airways.
4. Get tested if you have any symptoms: The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to that of other respiratory diseases such as influenza, flu. If you have any of these symptoms like cold, fever, headache, cough, loss of taste and smell, sore throat etc., make sure you get tested for COVID-19. Further, isolate yourself and check the coronavirus symptoms day by day.
Here are some of the COVID-19 tips for staying home:
Isolate yourself and maintain distance from others as much as possible.
When you cough and sneeze, use a tissue, or cover your mouth with the elbow or hands. After that, wash your hands.
Eat healthy food and use separate dishes, cups, glasses, spoons etc.
Make sure there is enough ventilation in your room.
5. Get inoculated with COVID-19 Vaccine: Walk into your nearest COVID vaccination centre and get inoculated. Millions of people are taking vaccines as they are highly effective to prevent the COVID. At the beginning of the COVID in 2020, scientists had very little knowledge about this disease, but today we have a weapon to fight this battle against the coronavirus- which is the corona vaccine. Most of the countries all across the world are inoculating their people and with very positive results. However, don't forget that a COVID vaccine is only for preventing this disease and not necessarily a coronavirus cure. So after getting vaccinated, don't be complacent and lenient in following the safety protocols of COVID-19.
Covid 19 can have serious, life-threatening complications, and amid the surge of the second wave, be mindful of all the guidelines of COVID-19. As you know that how does coronavirus spread, so maintain social distancing, wash your hand, keep hygiene, wear a face covering or mask and above, get vaccinated now. Further, if you develop any symptom of the COVID-19, then immediately isolate yourself and follow CDC guidelines.